Breastfeeding Support In and Around Peterborough
Breast milk is the best form of nutrients you can provide for your baby and has been associated with a number of health benefits, including:
- Reduction in the risk of infections
- Reduced likelihood of obesity in childhood and diabetes in the both infant and mother
- Reduced risk of ovarian/breast cancer in the mother
- Breastfeeding also has a positive impact on building a strong mother and infant attachment
It is recommended that new babies are exclusively fed breast milk for the first 6 months of life and complemented with solid foods until they are 2 years or beyond. Peterborough is committed to supporting mothers so sustain breastfeeding for as long as possible, so if you are experiencing difficulties, a range of support is available.
If you are pregnant and want to know more about feeding options for your new arrival it is recommended you speak to your midwife or health visitor - there are a range of antenatal classes and feeding workshops you and your partner can attend. You may also want to pop along to a local Baby Cafe and meet some breastfeeding mums yourself to talk about any questions or fears you may have.
If you are a breastfeeding mother and would like some support there are a number of services available.
Midwifery Breastfeeding Clinics:
Community based clinics dedicated to offering mums specialist support and advice if they have gone home but need a bit more help with breastfeeding (until the baby is 4 weeks old). The service is by appointment only and bookings are made by contacting the Midwifery Infant Feeding Team on 01773 677 219.
- Monday 09:30 - 14:30 Hampton Family Centre, PE7 8BZ
- Thursday 09:30 - 14:30 Eye Family Centre, PE6 7TD
Health Visitor Breastfeeding Clinics:
This clinic offers specialist breastfeeding support and advice by a trained expert for breastfeeding women with a child of any age. The service is by appointment only and bookings are made by contacting 01773 777 937.
- Friday 12:00 - 15:00 City Clinic, Wellington Street, PE1 5DY
Drop-in support sessions for breastfeeding women and their families, as well as pregnant women. The service offers qualified support and advice in a relaxed setting with the opportunity to meet other new and/or breastfeeding mothers.
- Monday 13:00 - 14:30 Brewster Avenue Family Centre, PE2 9PN
- Tuesday 13:00 - 14:30 East Children’s Centre, PE1 5JU
- Wednesday 10:00 - 11:30 Honeyhill Children’s Centre, PE4 7DH
- Thursday 11:45 - 13:45 Serpentine Green Community Room, PE7 8BD
Peterborough Breastfeeding Friendly:
Breastfeeding can not only be hard work but also very time consuming. We want our residents to feel comfortable to get on with their daily lives without being worried about needing to breastfeed their infant whilst being out in public. The Peterborough Breastfeeding Friendly scheme invites local businesses and organisations to take a pledge to promoting a breastfeeding welcome environment for mothers and families - just look out for this sign!
If you are a local business and want to know more about getting signed up please look at our getting started guide and our pledge here.